What to Do When Your Loved One Can No Longer Live at Home

13399001 - a senior woman planning out her estate

Share this story

Help us spread the word. One share can save elders’ life.

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter

People of all ages value their independence, but old age often makes independent living too difficult. You may find that your loved one like a parent or spouse can no longer live at home and must undergo the transition into an assisted living facility. This is a major change that requires many components of preparation.

Remain Alert For Major Signs

It isn’t always easy to determine when your loved one needs a different living situation. Do your best to watch for red flags that might indicate that independent living is no longer a realistic situation. These red flags could include recent accidents or close calls, slow recovery from illness, worsening chronic health conditions, and difficulty managing daily living activities. Other signs are more subtle, such as difficulty maintaining active friendships, lack of participation in hobbies and activities, and excessive time spent inside. It is essential to make plans for assisted living before any of these signs and problems result in major consequences.

Contact an Elder Law Attorney

Getting older comes with many legal complications. If your loved one can no longer live at home, a number of considerations must be made to ensure that your loved one’s financial, legal, and medical affairs are protected for the future. The complex issue of healthcare, especially when moving into an assisted living center, must also be tackled. An elder law attorney is the best professional to provide this help through estate planning, Medicaid planning, and other legal techniques that make it possible to cover every “what if?” situation.

Kimberly K. Muenter, P.A. is the premier elder law attorney in the Tampa, Florida area. She specializes in supporting older adults and their families through the processes of designating guardianships, health care surrogates, trusts, wills, powers of attorney, and more. If your loved one can no longer live at home, call (813) 856-3489 to gain the help and insight you need to navigate a stressful and complicated situation.